Thursday, March 26, 2009

Grocery Smarts 101

Well, I've had a few people ask about how this works. Without going into crazy detail, I thought I would give a beginner lesson. Basically go to the website http://www.grocerysmarts.com/ and put in the password g84ccl. This will help you access the Utah stores. After you enter your password, you can pick your store. I don't usually shop at Albertsons or Smiths but on this program I find some great deals there. You will want to look at the deals that are highlighted with red stars. 4 stars means it's a good deal so if you need it or will use it, go buy it. If it's a 5 star deal, get your butt in your car and buy it! Some of the deals require no coupon so under coupon index it will say N/A. If you get the Sunday paper (which I do. Infact I get 3 for more coupons) then it will tell you what coupon to look for in our coupon packet you recieved ie: Snuggle Créme Liquid Fabric Softener or Dryer Sheet product, any $1/1 (4-12-09) RP-1/18. That tells me the product, what discount I'm getting ($1 off of one), the expiration date (4-12-09), and that it's in the Red Plum packet that was sent on Jan 18th (RP-1/18.) You usually get a Smart Source and Red Plum packet in your Sunday paper. Smart Source is listed as SS. When I get the papers, I take out the coupon packets, write the date on the top in bright marker and put it in a binder for the future when the website tells me I have a coupon in there. The other way to get coupons is by printing them online. They will give you a link, you go there and print your coupons and most of them let you print them twice so you can buy more than one. If you have more servers (like your husband's computer at work) he can print them for you too so you have more. The way the program works is that everything goes on sale in a 4 month period. You don't really save a lot of money by clipping a few coupons and saving a little money off of things that are regular priced. The way you save a lot of money is by buying things on sale and then using a coupon on top of that price. The website tells you when something is a great price.

If you use the all in one button, you can get all the stores in one and get each deal for all of the stores and then take that into Walmart and they will price match. I am not sure if this works on programs like "buy so many items or spend so much money, get money back" though so be careful with that. When you click on a store or the all in one, push start. That will turn the list grey. Then you can click on the deals you want and they will turn white and when you're done, click on shrink and it will shrink your list to only the items you want. It's very handy. Then it will tell you where to get the coupon. That's the basics of it. It takes some practice and some time to work up your coupons, especially if you're getting the paper. It's completely free and the way they keep it that way is that they get a kick back from the paper. If you want to start getting the paper, go through their customer service number. It's cheaper and they get the money for bringing the paper another customer. It costs me $12.30 a month for my 3 papers a week and it's well worth it!

Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help. I know the program is in Las Vegas and Utah and hopefully will expand to surrounding states. Happy savings!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO Ash! I'm impressed. Jammie Evans also does sheshopssmart.blogspot.com maybe with the two of these you'll never pay anything for groceries. Thanks for the lesson.
Congrats on the upcoming little one. Three will be fun for you!

Kate and Wes said...

Thanks for the tips. I really need to look into this. Let me know if you have any other tips. Thanks!

JethRobyn said...

I'm excited to really get going on this, slightly overwhelmed, but I think it will pay off for the time. If people want it to keep being free, they need to subscribe to the Sunday paper (if they don't have one)through one of the people who are in charge of grocery smarts. I have a number if anyone needs it. I just got a 3-pack (3 papers on sunday) subscription for 12.75.

Suzie said...

SOunds like you are the master.
Go, you!


Do you do Enrichments?

Suzie said...

Oh. And I heard reports that the newspapers here in Utah have had a surge of business.

I think that is a direct result of Grocery Smarts/Pinching Pennies and the like.

Unknown said...

Hi Ashley! I'm so excited that you're having a boy. What do you want to name him? We got our swing from Target.