Monday, January 28, 2008

MISS AMERICA!!!

Hi there all! We have returned from Las Vegas! It was such a fun trip. We met so many awesome people. Jill did amazing!!! Of course we all hoped for a Miss America but that's not meant to be which is fine. We need her as our Miss Utah anyway.

Here's an update on all of the awesome things that happened.

We got to Vegas on Monday. The first preliminary night was Tuesday. My mom (as many of you know) is the Executive Director of Miss Utah so she was in meetings a lot of the time. The Miss America board was offering seats on the risers on the stage. My mom requested 4 seats so each preliminary night me, Wendy, Cyd and Nicole got to sit up on stage (my mom had pretty good seats and wanted to sit in the audience.) It was so cool!!!! We also went the the trade show and to a Miss America breakfast where we could meet the former Miss Americas and Lauren Nelson. They are all so gracious and nice. Lauren is very sweet. We had backstage visitors passes and we got to go back and meet all of the contestants and talk with Jill. Can I just tell you what a sweetheart she is! I love her to death. On Tuesday she was very upset with herself because she stumbled a little on her on-stage question but after many people (not from Utah) came to tell her that she was their favorite, she felt better. On Wednesday she was a whole new person. She stumbled in her swimwear too but looked amazing. She also did everning gown that night and probably won it. On Thursday she did her talent. It didn't go as well as hoped but she did great.

On Thursday night, my sister Amy, myself, and her girls, got our car from valet. Then a couple of minutes later, our other sister calls us and says the they just met Clinton Kelly from "What Not To Wear." Can you believe it? I was so mad. I love that guy!

On Saturday night, we arrived a little late to the pageant. It was like cattle trying to get into the auditorium. We finally got in just in time to hear the girls announcing themselves. We were bummed when she didn't make top 15 but we knew she was the 16th contestant. I just loved her reaction! How great were her push-ups too???? I just love her. Of course we were sad to see her eliminated but what a way to go.

After the pageant, we went backstage and we had a build a bear for her with army fatigues, a crown, and a blonde wig. She also had a dogtag on with "team GI Jill" on it. She loved it. While we were walking to the backstage area, we ran into the "advisors" from the reality show. We told them that we were from Utah. They said that they loved her and that she was their favorite. I don't know why they didn't pick her to win the reality show though. Oh well. Anyway, then Nicole told them why she dresses the way she does. She actually explained the garments to the Asian advisor. She said that she wishes that Jill would have told them and then they would have been more understanding. I don't think it's necessary to explain why you are modest but whatever. Anyway, it was way cool to meet them and they told us to tell Jill that they loved her! We also met Kayne from "Project Runway" and the old Miss Wyoming that is on the series "Crowned." It was great.

I had such a great time. I also told Jill that I am glad she didn't win because now we can hang out. She said that sounds awesome. Good job Jill!!! She's our Miss America!

2 comments:

Natalie Kay said...

Can I please hang out with her too? It could be a fun girls night. :)

I'm glad you had so much fun, it sounds like a blast!!! I'm sad I missed out on the fun, but then again, my party was pretty great too. Hehe.

Do you have pictures? You NEED to post them. Oh, and we were all wondering if they did any sort of Miss Congeniality, and if so, did Jill win it?

Ashley McKinnon said...

They did announce the Miss Congeniality award backstage. It went to Miss South Dakota. She is so cute! I stinkin forgot my camera at home but Nicole and my mom had theirs. I will get some pics from them and post them.