Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Prom

I have prom on the brain. Why? Because everyone I am around seems to be talking about it. My sweet niece is preparing for it, the Miss Lehi girls are talking about it, I do spray on tans so I have a lot of clients this week, and my young women in my ward are ready for it. They came over and were talking about it and asked to see pictures from my prom. I dusted off the good ole scrapbooks and we laughed at my pictures. I reminisced about my prom experiences.



My sophomore year, I went with a senior that I barely knew. He asked me in the weight room at the high school. He had been dating one of my good friends up until that point, so I think he asked me because he wanted to get back at her. Not a great start. I also was dating someone but he had already asked his ex-girlfriend a while back so he needed to take her. I was in a group of all seniors and then me. I didn't say much (I know that's crazy hard to believe!) We went golfing for our day activity (bad idea!) My date accidentally ran me over with the golf cart (yeah...it's true.) I wore a baby blue satin gown with a long chiffon scarf (it was not modest.) I had a good time but at the end of the date, when he tried to sneak in a kiss, that wasn't so good. We never really spoke after that. **If Lindsay Barratt is reading this......you know this guy.**



My junior year, I had a boyfriend and I was super excited for him to take me to prom. We had been going out on and off since 9th grade. The day prom was announced, a bale of hay was on my front porch and it said "Hay, will you go to prom with me?" I figured it was my boyfriend and didn't dig into the hay to find his name (mainly because I have insane allergies.) The next day, my dad was feeding our horses with said hay and found a piece of paper with a name on it. He brought it in and I realized that it was not my boyfriend. It was my best friend that had asked me. He was the "effeminate" friend that was in choir and theater with me. He was the funnest guy to be around and I never stopped laughing when I was with him. I will admit that I was somewhat disappointed when it wasn't my boyfriend but I had a blast. We laughed without having to worry about romance. He wore the craziest suit out of everyone at the prom, and I wore a hot pink number with sequins from head to toe. We didn't stand out at all with our crazy outfits and laughing. My boyfriend was disappointed too but ended up taking one of my best friends. The reason....because earlier that year, we had broken up and he had dated her to get back at me. He was mean to her and wanted to make it up to her. It ended up being a good thing. :) It was fun!



Senior prom. I actually went with a boyfriend this year! Yay! Every year I looked forward to prom and it was a big deal to me. Probably because I was the prom committee chairman and we started planning months in advance. We did a fun dance this year for the promanade dance. Usually it was a slow dance but we did a fast pop dance. My sweet date was NOT a dancer but he was a good sport. I wore a black strapless gown (again with not modest.) I also crimped my hair. What was I thinking? We went to dinner at a fancy restaurant. The guys rented a limo and we went to a friend's house after to watch movies and eat junkfood. It was my favorite prom because I was actually there with someone that I cared about. We had a lot of fun and a lot of my friends were in our group.



Oh prom.....it takes me back. I am so glad though that I am not in that stage of life anymore.

p.s. go jazz!

3 comments:

Smith Family said...

I need another tan! No I'm not going to prom but can I still get one? ;-) To anyone reading this . . . Ashley's tans are the BEST!!

Layne and Natalie said...

Oh PROM...isn't it great! I loved your stories it sent me back to high school! I'm so glad I'm not there anymore!

My Barratt Family said...

I wish I would have gone to prom with the first of the three stories... I could have gotten to know him a little better and prevented a LOT of un-needed life experiences. LOL!!! p.s. thanks for always making me smile!

i have news for you... John is getting the priesthood this Sunday