Sunday, March 13, 2011

Yard Sales and stupid people

Why do I have to be so negative you ask? I'll tell you why...because people are stupid. I do have good things to say about my recent "spur of the moment" yard sale. We made some sweet $$ to spend on.......let's see......nothing. Savings I guess.

But one aspect of our recent yard sale experience got me thinking. Why would one lowball someone when they have more than enough money? I had a lady offer $8 for a gigantic stack of items. Now don't get me wrong, I wanted that SHAT out of my life and garage so I'm happy she wanted to buy it. The approximate value of the items was around $20 but she said "will you take $8 for it all." I of course said "sure" since I just want the SHAT out of my life and garage. So I kinda thought to myself "well, she probably only has $8." But then she pulled out a huge wad of bills. $20's and $10's. But she offered $8. Not that I need her to pay the actual amount but if you have a $10, just say $10...why $8?? Noah and I were both boggled and laughed after she left. If she had children without clothing and food, I would have just given it to her. But her wad of cash and her Cadillac Escalade suggested otherwise.

Then I had another lady offer $8 for a huge box of scrapbook paper. Old nasty scrapbook paper that I had marked at $10 for the whole box. After I had said "sure" she said "what about $7?" Really? $1 less. Wow.

Yard sale folk never cease to amaze me. I LOVE me a good yard sale but I usually pay what it is marked at. I wasn't aware that people would come and bid me down on items. If I'd have known that, I would have marked them up more so we would agree on the price I originally wanted. This isn't Storage Wars or Auction Kings or the flea market in Honolulu for heaven's sake! It's my white trash yard.

No comments: