Monday, February 4, 2008

Our Beloved Prophet


When I was 8 years old, I sent a letter to President Ezra Taft Benson about a right choice I made. A few days later, a had a letter from the Prophet, telling me how proud he was of my "choosing the right." I cherished that letter for many years and when he passed away when I was 14, I was devistated. I felt like I had this bond with him because of that letter.


Recently, I have been feeling the same feelings. A little more than 6 years ago, I sent a letter to President Hinckley and his dear wife Marjorie, inviting them to attend our temple sealing (I also sent an invitation to our wedding to President Bush but I never got a response.) A few days later, I received the following:

Gordon B. Hinckley
President
January 23, 2002

Miss Ashley Revill
Mr. Noah Kimball McKinnon

Dear Sisiter Revill and Brother McKinnon:

Sister Hinckley and I are in receipt of your wedding announcement and take this opportunity of sending our congratulations to you. We regret that we will be unable to be with you on this special occasion.

We pray that your lives may be filled with much of happiness, with love and appreciation one for another.

May this mark the beginning of a journey that will be fruitful of great joy through all the years that lie ahead.

Sincerley,

Gordon B. Hinckley
(and he signed it)

For some reason, our temple sealer said to us as we were walking into the sealing room, that the Prophet wishes he could be here today. I am not sure if that is something that is always said or not, but it made me feel that maybe he was thinking about us that day. It makes me feel like we are destined for something greater than what we are worthy of now. This makes me want to change myself. Be a better mom, a better wife, but most importantly, a better daughter of God.

Since receiving that letter some 6 years ago, I have felt a bond with the Prophet. It has been hard on me to move forward, but we will go forward. As President Hinckley once said:

"Forget yourself and go to work!"

I love that man!
(you can also purchase the photo above at http://www.boydiveyphotography.com/ I ordered a print yesterday.)

4 comments:

Natalie Kay said...

Thanks so much for that link!!! I commented on KSL just the other day that I wanted to know where I could order that exact picture. It's like you read my mind! I just ordered 3 copies. Thank you!!!

Ashley McKinnon said...

I'm so glad. I think it's the perfect picture of him.

Zoe said...

That is so cool Ashley! I would have never thought to do that! How neat that he responded too. What a treasure.

Carlie said...

So amazing. I would never of thought to do something like that. But that is so awesome, even to get a response from the prophet. awesome